José Guadalupe Posada: Cancioneros (Songbooks)
José Guadalupe Posada illustrated many small booklets, typically under 20 pages in length and measuring roughly 9x12cm in dimension. These little publications are known in English as chapbooks; in Spanish, they are referred to as Cuadernos or Cuentos. Chapbooks contained a variety of favorite subjects including but not limited to prayers, religious themes, recipes, short stories, songs, plays, and verses. As with the broadsides, the images that appeared in chapbooks were printed on a variety of newsprint quality paper stock. Sometimes the paper was colored, sometimes images were hand colored, and many images were used over again for different stories. Front covers usually were illustrated with an image related to the content of the chapbook. Sometimes there were illustrations on the inside, and often there was an advertisement on the back. Below are selected images of the covers of these cancioneros (songbooks).
- Colección de canciones modernas para año 1892. Panel 1.
- Colección de canciones modernas para año 1894. Panel 1.
- Colección de canciones modernas para año 1895. Panel 1.
- Colección de canciones modernas para año 1900- "Las Torres Blancas".Panel 1.
- Adios a Mexico 35 Colección de canciones modernas para 1895. Panel 1.
- La poblanita. Cuarta colección de canciones para el presente año. Panel 1.
- Cover for 'Nueva Coleccion de Canciones para el Presente Año'
- El Nuevo Sr. D. Simon: nueva coleccion de canciones modernas para 1906.
- La inundación de León. Colección de canciones modernas para 40.