Early Funders: The Pardee Sisters
Helen Pardee (1895-1981) and Madeline Pardee (1889-1980) provided funding for the collection through the 1960s and 1970s before a GALC endowment fund was created from the sale of valuable prints in 1977 and 1987. Since the GALC rental fees were used for supplies and repairing prints, new prints added to the collection each year were the result of generous donations to the Library from these two sisters. The Rembrandt print and the Canadian Eskimo soapstone sculpture in this case were purchased with Pardee funds, as were the prints that Professor James D. Hart purchased from Europe in 1966.
Items located in this exhibit case:
1) University Art Museum news release about the October, 1983 exhibit “19th and 20th Century Prints From the Collection Of The University Art Museum, Berkeley” celebrating 25 years of the GALC and featuring prints recently transferred to the UAM from the GALC.
2) Catalogue for 1983 UAM exhibit, “19th and 20th Century Prints From the Collection Of The University Art Museum, Berkeley.”
3) UC Berkeley Office of Public Information news release from September 22, 1965.
4 & 5) Rembrandt print, Circumcision In The Stable, and its original label.
6) Professor James D. Hart’s expense report for the purchases of GALC pieces from art galleries in Spain, France, England, and Ireland in the spring of 1966.
7 & 8) Two postcards to University Librarian Donald Coney from Professor James D. Hart while he was in Spain buying prints for the GALC.
9) Letter dated January 11, 1963 from UC Berkeley student Nancy Voss to Myra Kolitsch, Head of the Morrison Library.
10) Letter dated September 23, 1983 from Iris Greenberg to the Morrison Library.
11) Front page of the Monday Paper from October 8, 1976 of a student riding his bike with a GALC print.
12) GALC advertising campaign that appeared in the personals section of The Daily Californian on April 9, 1981.
13) Program from the 50 years of the GALC celebration in 2008.
14) Henry Ryberg: A Blind Art Lover by Joe Rosenthal. An article from the San Francisco Chronicle newspaper dated February 16, 1964 about a blind student who used the GALC collection by borrowing one of the GALC sculptures.
15) One of three Canadian Eskimo soapstone sculptures added to collection in 1960. These three sculptures are no longer a part of the GALC.